Monday, November 26, 2012

Perspective

Perspective.  It's not a word I think about much.  The dictionary defines it as a mental view or outlook.  Two weeks ago my perspective changed.  Two weeks ago,  we received a call that little did we know would change our perspective on life.

It was a mostly normal day.  It was a Friday so that meant the kids were home that day with homework.  We were finishing up and I was straightening up the house before we ran to the store for a few things. We hopped in the car to run to Target.  My phone rang with a number I didn't recognize.  I have learned to let these numbers from out of state go to voicemail.  I guess I was feeling nice that day and answered it.  It was our social worker, Lesley, from the adoption agency.  Here is our conversation....

Me:  "Hello?"
Lesley:  "Hey Sarah, it's Lesley from Lifeline.  I had a quick question for you."
Me:  "Oh hey Lesley!  Ok, what is it?"
Lesley:  "Well, I don't have any paperwork on this child, but we have some information that we will soon be getting a baby girl with a cleft lip and possible cleft palate.  Would you and Allan consider that as something that is a medically correctable?"
Me:  "Ummm, I think so.  I definitely want to run it by Allan though."
Lesley:  "Yeah, of course.  We are only calling people who are coming up on the list to get a feel for what they think.  Just shoot me an email and let me know once y'all talk about it."
Me:  "OK, sounds great!"

After I hang up phone and realize the conversation I have just had, I immediately call Allan.  He says we will talk about it later that night.  We agree that it doesn't matter what she looks like, that this child needs a home and love and we can provide that.  We email Lesley and say sure, we would be interested.

Fast forward two weeks.  We've heard nothing.  It's crossed our minds, but we haven't thought much about it.  We've been busy.  It's almost Thanksgiving, projects for school were due, family is coming into town, we are working on trying to get our house refinanced and our home study updated from the move.    I keep thinking how I want to post pictures on the blog of the "new house."  Our perspective is different then.

My parents came into town on Friday after Thanksgiving.  We decide to go to a local Christmas tree farm.  As soon as we get there, my phone rings.  It says Ontario, Canada.  I say, "that's strange," and hit decline.  I jokingly hang up and say, "that was probably a referral."  Everyone laughs.  Here is where many of you are asking what a referral is.  A referral is a picture and biological information on a child that they have chosen for our family.  You can say yes or no.  My voice mail dings a few minutes later with a message from the Canada phone number.  I listen.  I laugh.  I say to Allan and my parents, "yes I declined a phone call for a referral."  My parents willingly watch the kids while Allan and I run to the car to call Lesley back.  She tells us again about a sweet baby girl who was born 4 months prior with a cleft lip and palate.  She tells us how she was abandoned.  She tells us she is ours if we want her.  We cry.  We laugh.  We hug.  We kiss.  We have a baby on the other side of the world that is ours.  It's a strange feeling.  We haven't met her, but we love her.  We stare at her picture a lot.  We think she is beautiful.  Two weeks ago, we would have thought our baby would be perfect on the outside.   But, she's not.  Just like we are not perfect.  We may look it, but our hearts are dirty.  But God created her in his image.  And she's perfect to us!  Perspective.

Prayers are appreciated as we anticipate her arrival.  Prayers for paperwork to be fast.  Prayers for her safety and health.  Prayers for our children who say they understand, but are in for some major life changes.  Prayers for bonding.  She will probably be 8 or 9 months before we get to bring her home.   She is beautiful.  I wish I could show you how beautiful she is.  Her name is Violet. 


2 comments:

  1. What amazingly great news! So happy for ya'll! Congrats on beautiful Violet! We'll be praying for her to come home soon! :)

    Love, Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love this!!! I can't wait to know more! And many prayers for Violet.

    ReplyDelete